According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have pests or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to ask Winters Heating and Cooling in Franklin & South Indy about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct CleaningWhile professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to maintain your ducts and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule periodic HVAC maintenance with the experts at Winters Heating and Cooling. A regular evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Examining your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts open.
The pros at Winters Heating and Cooling can also show you more about air purification systems. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights. Installing one of these systems can also help keep your ducts clean.
More ways you can help manage your ducts:
- Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from places such as your attic.
- Check your air filters regularly and put in new filters when necessary.
- Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
- Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Franklin & South Indy home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Winters Heating and Cooling at 317-406-5382 or make an appointment online.