Spring is in the air here in Franklin & South Indy and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Winters Heating and Cooling team has some recommendations that will assist in keeping your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers – Timers are an economical way to make your home seem as though you are home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to sync up with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter – If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is as it should be.
- Wait to share – We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your amazing sabbatical on social media, but try to put it off until after you make it home to post anything about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail – The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged – If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to conserve energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat – If you’re on vacation there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Winters Heating and Cooling in Franklin & South Indy a call at 317-406-5382.