Whether you enjoy winter or desire the warmer months in Franklin & South Indy, many of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Look at the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it must be switched out. We advocate at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home keeps warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at Winters Heating and Cooling can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Winters Heating and Cooling in Franklin & South Indy a call to start down the right path. Give us a shout at 317-406-5382 or schedule an appointment with us online.